Tuesday 1 October 2013

Origins of Dark Angel (Dark Angel Chronicles #3.5) by Melanie Nilles



Before he became the Dark Angel of McClarron, North Dakota, Elis had a life in his homeworld of Inar'Ahben...or tried to. A younger brother tormented by his older sister. A keeper hunted by the Shirukan. A best friend betrayed.  And a survivor sent alone to Earth to protect a shard of the Starfire crystal.  For Elis, peace was only a word.

Every story has a beginning.  This is the beginning of Dark Angel

Paperback, 230 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Prairie Star Publishing

Terri's Review

This is the second to last novel in the series and I must admit that I am ready to see the end of it.  Don't get me wrong, the story is not bad it just feels like it is beginning to drag on.

I will begin with the good.  This story was all about Elis who is by far the most interesting character in the series.  It profiles his life before Raea and his experiences as a keeper trainer and the events that led him to Earth.  The story revolves around his growth from a naïve boy to a mature young adult.  Betrayal and heartbreak are abundant throughout the story.  This story was necessary to show Elis' depth of character beyond the hero that he has been up to this point.

I must discuss the points of this story that wore on my nerves.  The overuse of the words "crystal fire' and "ahben depths" as an alternative to cursing has gone on too long.  This has been abundant throughout the series and it was during this instalment that I realised these phrases were in the place of cursing.  I'm not sure if it was because of the age that this story is marketed for however after several books it has gotten to the point of being annoying.

That being said this series is a good clean book with a good vs. evil theme and just enough fantasy to please.  Overall I enjoyed the read and I will see the series through to the end

No comments:

Post a Comment